Saturday 30 January 2010

Ultramontanism and the Liturgy...


I am no liturgical scholar. Most of my liturgical posts have been translations of Introits and Collects, musings about certain aspects of Liturgy and liturgical history (liturgical theology is a modern thing in my opinion), rubrics etc. I have here a cogent question to raise: to what extent has the ultramontane Papacy done greater harm than good to the Liturgy of the Church? It was a Pope who changed the Breviary hymns to better resemble the metre of the Classical age in 1629; it was a Pope who, to lessen the burden of the Ferial Office, authorized priests to celebrate Votive offices in the late 19th century (thereby going against the very first Rubric in the Missal - Missa quotidie dicitur secundum ordinem Officii); it was a Pope who changed the Breviary and other parts of the Mass 1911-1913; it was a Pope who authorized the changes to the Rites of Holy Week (beyond recognition) in the 1950s; it was a Pope who authorized and approved the Novus Ordo in 1969. These days we rely solely on the authority of the Pope (a very great Pope I daresay) to have the Old Rite...liturgical history, then, is not without a sense of irony.

Fr John Hunwicke over at Liturgical Notes has an interesting similar post about the process of canonization. He rightly says that Pope Benedict XVI has been wise to give this back to local churches. I am very much in favour of legitimate ''local custom'' - moreover I would go back to the days when there were no Missals or Breviaries, but were Antiphonaries, Sacramentaries etc (I wonder what the implications would be for the priest at High Mass if we did away with the Missal - would he still have to read everything? I would hope he would, since this seems to me to be integral to the Mass); I would that there were no ''Code of Canon Law'' but there were the Sacred Canons again; I would that there were a whole Psalm for the Introit rather than two verses, I would that instead of just the liturgical choir deserving a censing, the whole congregation at High Mass were censed individually (the Subdeacon can and should answer the Suscipiat); I would that Low Mass were abolished and there were more sung Office (no matter how much you go on about ''active participation'' - reason dictates that the congregation at Low Mass are indeed mere spectators, and spectators to what? a very unedifying, boring and certainly abridged form of Liturgy; no more pews etc. I would also that the training of priests for the celebration of High Mass would stop referring to things like ''the rest is as at Low Mass'' - High Mass is the definitive form of Liturgy, not Low Mass. More Sequences for greater feasts...

If you did away with the idea that you should have Mass everyday, more than once a day, then you could have more High Mass - at any rate, such an attitude towards the Mass only leads to complacency about the Blessed Sacrament. My somewhat strange opinion of Low Mass is not a new thing. My first experience of the Old Rite (although it was not in fact the Old Rite) was a Low Mass at the Oratory on a Sunday 5 years ago, and I came away rather perplexed - I even thought ''no wonder people desired reform!''

The Orthodox Church does not have this problem. From personal experience, their Liturgy is at once sacred but not exclusive to the clergy behind the Iconostasis. The greater litanies encourage ''active participation'' (although I would rather they stick to the liturgical languages of their respective churches - Church Slavonic for Russia, Greek for the Greek Church - I was most unimpressed the last time I attended an Akathist to the Theotokos at the Russian Orthodox cathedral at Kensington, half of it was in Church Slavonic, which was exquisite, but the other half was in a kind of liturgically stylized form of modern English which I thought was impertinent - rather like hearing Gregorian chant in English; it just doesn't work) in the congregation; people who know the liturgical tongue can join the clergy in singing the Akathist etc; and there are no pews and so the church feels clearer and has an atmosphere more conducive to worship.

There is nothing wrong with the Liturgy of the Roman Rite, but I am often compelled to ask: what went wrong? Pews, Low Mass and other such unfortunate terms seem to have stifled it. The answer? I am no authority, but I'd suggest do away with pews, and Low Mass, and bring back more incense, more chant (no more Mass VIII and Credo III though), more ''legitimate local custom,'' more litanies, more Latin hymns (English hymns, well any devotion in the vulgar tongue, goes against the grain somewhat), and especially sung Office (a good place to start would be Sunday Vespers, and perhaps Vespers for Holydays and other great Feasts). As I have said, there is nothing wrong with the Liturgy of the Roman Rite but there seems to go with it a sort of attitude inimical to liturgical things such as incense and chant...comments, suggestions, protests etc in the comment box...

16 comments:

  1. An excellent post Patricius - your best yet I would venture.

    Less centralised control - and no centralised modernising of the Liturgy - and more flexibility at local level seems to the obvious way forward. In other words the situation as it existed pre-Trent when local churches made local decisions about local Liturgy. However, I suspect the quality of local leadership was significantly higher than it is today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Rubricarius.

    I might also suggest an increase in the role of the Deacon, since this may have had something to do with the evolution of Low Mass too - Deacons not being seen as ''necessary'' for Mass. Also, might we also suggest making the Subdiaconate a Minor Order instead of a Major Order? At least this way, in the absence of a priest nowadays, a mature Server, skilled in the art of chanting and the Latin tongue and aware of the Rubrics, might act as a ''lay clerk'' of some sort in place of the Subdeacon. It always irritates me seeing priests in choir at a Missa Cantata...

    I have no problem with the Papacy as defined at Vatican I - I would just rather see more Popes, like the present Pope who is a manifestly great man with eminent knowledge of Liturgy and aware of the good and needs of the Church, being more faithful to their office, which is summed up in the title Servus Servorum Dei. Popes are not kings (although they should be crowned), they are servants - servants of the Deposit and most importantly servants of the Liturgy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why no more pews, Patricius? I understand the rest of what you advocate, but not that.

    Re "the rest is like Low Mass", I take a wicked delight in explaining Low Mass the opposite of this, e.g. to servers - I explain what not to do, and then I say "the rest like [so and so] does at High Mass"! :-p

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ancient churches and the patriarchal Basilicae in Rome had no pews. Pews are designed primarily for an audience to hear a sermon, like in Protestant sermon halls. As a concession, I would still permit some chairs (for the elderly and for people who have trouble standing for long periods), but I would rather have ''choir-stalls'' lined along the side of the church than benches which take up space. If you did away with pews, there'd be more room for statues, votive candles, images of the Saints etc.

    Also, bring back Rood Screens - that is something I neglected to say in my post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What about prie-dieux? I tend to think of pews not for sitting on, but for kneeling at...

    Though, I appreciate what you're saying about *sitting*!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With regards to pews - Quite. They are not part of church furniture for Catholic and Orthodox churches (pace the Greeks). In medieval and ancient times the only seating for the laity would have been a bench around the church walls, hence the expression 'going to the wall' (which describes me at the moment but that is not the point).

    I agree Patricius that Low Mass should be abolished in an ideal world. It is the worst example of minimalism and the product of a legal mindset that seeks to define the minimum required for validity. With the worship of Almighty God we should not be bothering about the minimum requirement but what the maximum we could do for Him.

    Do, as I have suggested, read some Robert Taft. Ideally on Sunday parishes should have Office and Mass - all sung.

    I share your view about deacons and would go further and suggest every parish should have one. I think history shows that the subdeaconate hasn't always been considered a major order and also agree with you that the role could be supplied by someone in minor orders. One of the late Archbishops of Thyateria, Athenagoras II, loathed laity in the altar (sanctuary) and insisted in making many men and boys readers. I would support the idea of regular servers being ordained in minor orders which, again, was almost certainly the case in medieval England.

    I do not agree with you however with respect to your view on the use of language by the Orthodox. The Orthodox have a history of using the vernacular - after all the Russians don't use Greek (except for a few things). An English translation, if it is in good English and I have to confess to considering Cranmer a genius with the English language, is really not that offensive. It is infinitely better than ICEL or the new translations which, IMHO, are actually worse than the ICEL which takes some doing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taft? Who, me? Already have. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reference "no pews, etc", be aware that this Blog is awaiting photos, from the Blog "Rudgate Ramblings", of York Minster minus all its pews, chairs, etc. This is an annual event, apparently, and is imminent. The absence of such furniture accentuates the beauty of a Mediaeval Cathedral or Minster and is well worth observing. Stand by. [Literally.]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mark,

    No, no the comment about Taft was to Patrick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your sentiments about Low Mass, Rubricarius, are of course absolutely correct. Mass may be the jewel in the crown of the Liturgy but this does not mean that it behoves us to relegate the rest of the Liturgy to the bin - Mass, afterall, has to agree with the Office, not vice versa.

    My ideal (but realistic) parish setting would be Mattins and Lauds on Sunday morning at 9:00am, followed by the principle Mass of the week (a High Mass - or in the absence of a Deacon, a Missa Cantata) with a ''lunch break'' and Vespers at around 3:30pm. What better way to spend the Lord's Day?

    As I have said, the Subdiaconate ought to be made a Minor Order in the West (Lord willing, the current Holy Father might bring it back, but perhaps this is not high on his agenda - in God's time then) as in the East, and a mature Server (ideally, a young man well-versed in ceremonial and the Latin language, a good Latinist and cantor) ought to be so thus ordained.

    I'm sorry but I just have an inherent distaste for vernacular Liturgy, and even private devotion. Whenever saying the Office myself, praying the Rosary or saying the Actus Contritionis in Confession, I use the Latin tongue. Liturgical language ought to be old and courteous. Cranmerian English is very good; Cranmer was a genius, but is English of any kind a liturgical language? I suppose if one takes eld as a litmus test for this, then neither is Church Slavonic, which is aesthetically exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Patricius. Do I detect that you would be at home in Rievaulx Abbey in the 11th Century ?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zephyrinus, to have been alive in the 12th century would have been a blessing, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! That's been said to me many times on forums too, usually as an insult, though I never take it as one. The High Middle-Ages represent the height of European civilisation, in my opinion. Never in any other age was the kingship of Christ over all things so widely recognised.

    Naturally, I concur with the sentiments expressed here regarding the liturgy and ultramontanism. Liturgy and scholastism isn't necessarilly the best combination either. Certainly the early twentieth century Popes set a very bad example, and something which will take a long time to put right.

    Mark M,

    I don't see the relationship between pews and kneeling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paul: what can I kneel on otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
  15. No, a kneeler! Oh, the humanity...

    ReplyDelete