Thursday 14 January 2010

St Hilary of Poitiers...


Today is the Feast of St Hilary of Poitiers, Bishop and Doctor of the Church. One of the greatest Fathers of the Western Church, whose works (to my shame) I have not in fact read. I am just on my way out to college now, so I may dig something out of the Library this afternoon and amend this. Happy Feast Day all!

It's a shame, though, for on the feasts of Saints whom I love and respect deeply, I like to translate some of their works and post them, but like over Christmas, I simply haven't had time. Funnily enough, on the Feast of St Augustine last year, I sent cordial greetings to my tutor (who lectures regularly on him). I had said that I was reading his Confessions, and even The City of God (in Latin; the latter proving quite hard indeed, for the Introduction is very clever Latin, and I had to go through the whole paragraph to find the main verb!), which he seemed pleased about. Unfortunately, he told me, he had to spend the day marking essays on St Augustine, which he explained was no substitute for reading the Great Doctor himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment