Wednesday 6 January 2010

Niveus, Nivea, Niveum...


This snow is a veritable weather out of the pits of Hell. I am thoroughly peeved that I cannot get to Mass at all today (we had High Mass last year at Blackfen for the Feast of the Epiphany), and I am sure the Devil is laughing in his merriment - the sad coincidence of events, things grinding to a halt ridiculously because of a small smattering of snow. It is quite monstrous. I wonder if this is the correct way to go about things though? But I cannot help equating this snow (snow is beautiful, as Eru consoled the Ainu Ulmo) with the foul climate that came out of Mordor before the Siege of Minas Tirith:

''You are weary of this day?'' said Beregond.
''Yes,'' said Pippin, ''very: tired out with idleness and waiting. I have kicked my heels at the door of my master's chamber for many slow hours, while he has debated with Gandalf and the Prince and other great persons. And I'm not used, Master Beregond, to waiting hungry on others while they eat. It is a sore trial for a hobbit, that. No doubt you will think I should feel the honour more deeply. But what is the good of such honour? Indeed what is the good even of food and drink under this creeping shadow? What does it mean? The very air seems thick and brown! Do you often have such glooms when the wind is in the East?''
''Nay,'' said Beregond, ''this is no weather of the world. This is some device of his malice; some broil of fume from the Mountain of Fire that he sends to darken hearts and counsel. And so it doth indeed. I wish the Lord Faramir would return. He would not be dismayed. But now, who knows if he will ever come back across the River out of the Darkness?'' (The Lord of the Rings, Book V, Chapter IV, The Siege of Gondor).

4 comments:

  1. I think the only way to deal with the snow is to 'throw in the towel', say 'OK, you win, my plans are all wrecked' and then sit back and enjoy the beauty of it. Wrap up warmly and enjoy a lovely walk.
    Not much fun if you have to struggle in to work, of course :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never mind, Patricius... I've been stuck in bed unable to go anywhere for two days, and not because of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is even more infuriating is that I specifically booked the time off work so that I could get to an Old Rite Mass this evening...so the snow can go hang, however beautiful it is.

    Mac, prayers for your recovery shall storm the gates of Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Patricius, it is infuriating. Number One Son had also booked a day off work yesterday to go to St Bede's, Clapham Park but his plans were also thwarted.

    ReplyDelete