Thursday 21 January 2010

Ortírielyanna...


My other ''interesting'' post is taking longer to write than I had heretofore anticipated, and in the writing it is increasingly ''bitter'' and I am yet to arrive at a point, but I'll let readers be the judge of that instead. The trouble I have in writing is that it is always in too grandiloquent a style and I always fall short of actually making a point (at least that is how I see it), and so the result is neither a contribution to rhetoric nor anything else worthy. Anyway, I am not sure that I have blogged about this yet, but here is Tolkien's Quenya rendering of the beautiful Sub tuum praesidium. Enjoy!

Ortírielyanna rucimme, Aina Eruontari. Alalye nattira arcandemmar sangiessemman, ono alye eterúna me illume ilya raxellor, alcarin Vénde ar manaquenta.

Ὑπὸ τὴν σὴν εὐσπλαγχνίαν,
καταφεύγομεν, Θεοτόκε.
Τὰς ἡμῶν ἱκεσίας,
μὴ παρίδῃς ἐν περιστάσει,
ἀλλ᾽ ἐκ κινδύνων λύτρωσαι ἡμᾶς,
μόνη Ἁγνή, μόνη εὐλογημένη.

No comments:

Post a Comment