Sunday 19 July 2009

Setting the Altar Missal...

I set the Altar Missal this morning before Mass. I enjoy doing that. When I get time, I also sit down to read the Proper texts. Today's Introit was easy-peasy, as was the Gradual and Alleluia, but I stumbled when I read the Epistle. St Paul wrote: ''Fratres: Humanum dico...'' which looked to me like ''Brothers: I say 'of men;''' Humanum looked to me like the Genitive Plural...Father told me it was the wrong Declension! It was actually quite hard to render into English, as the Latin was a direct translation of the Greek (rather like the Asperges, where it says ''et super nivem dealbabor'' - which is not great Latin). After Mass, he got out one of his Greek Bibles, and a commentary, and we sorted the problem (well he did actually, my contribution was pointing out that I recognised Θεός!) . I can't remember what the Greek said, but it was gracious of him to take the time to sort it for me.

I kind of like Erasmus' idea that moral and linguistic purity interpenetrate; and that therefore the acquisition of a real Classical education, grounded in Latin (and Greek - alas, still to come for me) is not only intellectually stimulating, but a moral activity. It is a great privilege to know Latin, even if it is very little. It is also one of the reasons I love the Latin Mass - not just for the profundity and mystery, but the aesthetic and ''intellectual'' quality too. I heard today's Gospel and understood - at least the words of the Latin took shape in my mind in an ineffable way; the feeling was somewhat reminiscent of Frodo's experience of hearing the Exiles chant their song to Elbereth in the woods of the Shire. Frodo knew little Elvish (and the little he knew came from Bilbo) but the words of that song were strung together into fair visions in his mind. The feeling is blunted, though, in the New Rite - where everything is verbose and understanding paramount.

4 comments:

  1. Slightly off topic, but have you seen this article about Lewis and Tolkien?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't read that article Mac, nor was I aware of this specific joint work, so thanks for that. In 1968, Tolkien wrote that he and Lewis did plan on writing on Space and Time travel at around this time - Lewis produced ''Out of the Silent Planet,'' Tolkien didn't publish anything, but The Lost Road can be found in The History of Middle-earth. It is an interesting work, and much of the stuff was incorporated into the great legendarium (the Akallabeth). It is inconceiveable that such a work as this could have been produced by two such different men in the earlier days of their friendship though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree with everything you say! (But then I would!!!)

    On "fratres humanum dico..." just think of the opening of the Aeneid - "arma virumque cano", normally translated 'Of arms and the man I sing' (a mixture of the first lines of the Iliad and Odyssey). It's an 'internal accusative', if you like jargon (I'm afraid I live and breathe off linguistic jargon), and Greek is chocca full of them - as you say, it's often hard enough to render into Latin let alone English.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for your wise comment Athanasius. I too am fond of ''linguistic jargon,'' when I understand it that is. Rather an odd feeling though, when the Propers and Ordinary are being chanted, I can go through them and piece them together. Like in the Asperges: Asperges me [Future tense, second person singular], Domine hyssopo et mundabor [Vocative singular, Second Declension, ablative case, et = conjunction, mundabor = future tense, first person singular, in the passive voice!] etc! I am, however, still awaiting that day when it all falls into place and I am fluent...

    ReplyDelete