Saturday 18 July 2009

Appropbet, si hic esset?


In the early 1950s, J.R.R Tolkien was presented with a dictation machine when he was asked to record part of The Lord of the Rings. In fact, I expect that this very recording was probably the same one that I posted a while back. When he took it, he eyed it suspiciously, and to exorcise demons from it, he whispered the Pater Noster into it in Gothic! And so the cogent question: would J.R.R Tolkien approve of blogging (let alone this silly blog!)? Hmmmmm, well that is hard to say; harder than I thought, when I first conceived of this post. I am quite sure that he wouldn't approve of some blogs; if they're poorly written, or they're just frivolous or something; but I can say with confidence that he would approve of many good Catholic blogs; probably because they are personal endeavours to the glory of God, and are not liable to be edited in order to conceal something important.

To be on the safe side, I too shall perform a mini exorcism on my blog, with these words!

Atta unsar þu in himinam, weihnai namo þein, qimai þiudinassus þeins,wairþai wilja þeins, swe in himina jah ana airþai. Hlaif unsarana þana sinteinan gib uns himma daga, jah aflet uns þatei skulans sijaima, swaswe jah weis afletam þaim skulam unsaraim, jah ni briggais uns in fraistubnjai, ak lausei uns af þamma ubilin. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment