Friday 3 July 2009

Another day in London...


Forgive the lack of recent posts, but I have been quite busy since Tuesday. I was at the University again this afternoon, for yet more meetings and yet more work. Now I have to review of an article that was published in The Tablet (that anti-Catholic periodical that should be burned by any respectable Catholic - I did in fact handle a copy out of curiosity this evening, but promptly went to cleanse my hands with holy water afterwards!) some years ago - a lecture in fact by a certain Jacques Dupuis on Inter-religious dialogue. I am in two minds as to whether or not I ought to approach it in truth, from a traditional Catholic perspective; or to dissemble my opinion of the article (and the subject in question) with contrary sentiments (done in order to gain better marks). The only difficulty with such an approach though is that it would obviously be spurious. I could well imagine the tutor reading it and thinking: ''he doesn't believe a word of this!'' But, if I were to obviously disparage the article as entirely meaningless, I would have to produce a review that was so cogent, so succinct and well-argued that I fear that I am less than capable - precisely because I have no interest in Inter-religious dialogue (a topic that the article says is very ''critical'' these days)...

I did, however, spend the afternoon in more worthier pursuits. I translated another ten lines from Virgil's Eclogues in the 30 minutes that I allowed myself. Earlier, I had I bumped into my Latin teacher in the corridor, and she told me briefly about the etymology of the word ''eclogue'' and mentioned a few 18th-19th century commentaries on Virgil. I gave her the copy that I was working from, and she promptly turned to Eclogue IV (the so-called Messianic prophecy), which she told me about. I told her of the rather scathing Introduction given by the editor, and she that it was nonsense. Indeed it was. I don't see how he, as an editor, has any right to unload his nonsense here...

After all that research, I decided that enough was enough and I got the Central Line along to Chancery Lane where I disembarked and walked to St Etheldreda's, Ely Place, known chiefly as the ''oldest'' Catholic church in the country (it is not actually, most of our ancestral churches are ''borrowed'' - to put it nicely - by our separated ''brethren'' the Anglicans). I spent a good deal of time contemplating Virgil, and the rather splendid East window of the Chancel (also the rather crude statues that lined the walls of the church, and the Altar itself which was rather plain). Mass over, I went to join my parish MC (and two of the Servers of the Mass, one of whom is part of an excellent Schola) outside. After exchanging pleasantries, we went to the pub (The Mitre), which was rather nice. As it was Friday, the place got rather packed, but the conversation was good and interesting. It was in fact the MC's idea that I blog about today. I am not certain as to whether or not people find my posts about ''days out'' interesting - they appear, with hindsight, to be almost identical - involving research in the Library, going to various Masses, and then doing something else.

One of the highlights of today, however, was reading on a notice board that a friend of mine got a First Class Honours for his degree, so congratulations to him. He did, however, start his degree the same year that I did...I wonder if I can get a First? I am certainly more than capable (at least according to friends and well-wishers). The only difficulty lies in the fact that I am not so interested in Theology as to enjoy absolutely everything! My chief interests are Latin, Liturgy (liturgical theology, history and rubrics), Church history and that's just about it! It was more or less expected of me to do a degree - the idea was (on my mother's part) that ''oh, you're good at 'religion,' why not do a degree in it?'' - and that was that. I wanted to go to Oxford, but I couldn't. I cannot leave home (as yet). Perhaps to do my Masters and D.Phil...

I have so much to do over the Summer that I fear that my blog may be side-lined. I shall certainly not give it up (yet) but maybe the longer posts can wait until I have a time of leisure in some far-distant day. The agenda for the Summer is: write the review, write another essay, write another essay (or two, I can't quite remember how many are outstanding), and revise for two exams. I also plan to have Virgil's Eclogues translated in entirety by September too, so I have quite a lot to be getting on with. I only pray God that I don't collapse under the strain of it all...My next post, which I have been preparing (among other engagements) since Tuesday, shall be devoted to The Silmarillion.

Happy Feast of St Leo II, within the Octave of Sts Peter & Paul, by the way...I mean St Irenaeus minus the Octave!

No comments:

Post a Comment