Friday 21 August 2009

Reading the Scriptures...

I seldom read the Bible. I don't know why exactly, but it has never been something that I have taken to. Naturally, reading the Scriptures is no small thing; you're reading the very written Word of God, and as such, a casual approach is untoward. The Scriptures, instead, are honoured by the Church in the Sacred Liturgy, a treasure house of the Church's Tradition. Since the Scriptures are part of that Tradition, naturally to enshrine them within such a glorious liturgical context is the Church's godly approach to Scripture. Perhaps Protestants, content with their own made-up and vain ''priesthood,'' take a somewhat slovenly approach when they engage in their study sessions, which really amount to little more than the projecting of their own obscene theological heresies upon the Scriptures, which is an abuse. So much for Sola Scriptura; it ought to be rendered ''Only what I think the Scriptures say; since, in my arrogance, I am my own Magisterium...''

I am in the process of writing an essay on St Paul's Epistle to the Galatians. Since I got distracted (as is my wont when it comes to things of utmost importance), I glanced at one of the Psalms. A nice verse to conclude this post:

''In the daytime the Lord hath commanded his mercy; and a canticle to him in the night. With me is prayer to the God of my life.'' (Psalm 41:9).

Back to work...alas...

No comments:

Post a Comment