Tuesday 25 August 2009

Mini ''blognic''


Yesterday evening, after a day of essay-writing at the University, I went to Mass at Corpus Christi church, Covent Garden (as is my wont on a Monday evening). Fr Finigan was celebrant, and six out of the seven Servers in the Sanctuary were from Blackfen! I was Thurifer. After Mass, I met a friend of mine, Rubricarius of the St Lawrence Press and another chap called Andrew (who reads this blog) and we went to the pub for a few drinks.

It was quite honestly the best evening in recent months. The conversation was intellectual, witty and very interesting, ranging from liturgical history, rubrics and theology (not just in the Roman Rite) to Tolkien, Catholic families and the Latin language. Rubricarius showed me a 1910 Breviary, in mint condition, and I was amazed to see the Psalterial discrepancies. I haven't had time yet to properly compare and contrast the differences, but it will be interesting when I eventually do. I showed him the 1828 Missal Propers from the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, which he found interesting. Fr Finigan joined us a little later on (he had joined the families at Pizza Hut first), and so the meeting was a miniature ''blognic'' too!

One thing that was said especially interested me. Rubricarius reckons that I should do a PhD thesis on Tolkien. I wonder what I would write about; maybe something like Tolkien's theology of Creation and sub-creation (if that doesn't sound too solemn, Tolkien might think it does), the literary value of The History of Middle-earth or perhaps, more appropriately, something on the generally Catholic thrust of his work.

All good things come to an end though, and we were obliged to leave because of the ''warning bell.'' By this time, I realised that I had had a little too much to drink, which marred the evening somewhat. I was certainly glad to get in eventually (after what seemed a never-ending journey home) and I went to bed feeling exhausted.

I shall be going to the Russian Orthodox Cathedral again on Thursday, as it will be the Vigil of the Dormition of the Mother of God (according to the Julian Kalendar). They are having a service of Vespers and a ''burial'' ceremony (something which I have never seen, and apparently has only been done once before in London) to mark the solemn occasion.

I am not looking forward to going to work tomorrow, or to next week, but the mini ''blognic'' was a welcome break and a solace amidst those cares. The above image depicts Corpus Christi church.

5 comments:

  1. Dang! I wish I'd been there - I've read your and Rubricarius' blogs for a while and would love to have some of the Psalter changes clearly explained to me!

    Mind you, I am the Wrong End of the Country... Though equally, I am wondering if I know your reader - it is, after all, a small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your antipodean reader agrees...

    A PhD on Tolkien would be most apposite also.

    Enjoy Russian Vespers - the Orthodox call Our Lady's Dormition the Pascha of the Theotokos, for it is her passing over from this world to the Father...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to visit the RO Cathedral. It must be splendid inside.

    Your blog is a great read. I am often at Corpus Christi in term time so it's good to match the blog to a person.

    Keep up the good blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catholic with Attitude, thanks for your kind comment. I have been going to Maiden Lane for some years now, and am privileged to serve there too.

    Do keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No problem. Yes, I can just about make out your profile picture and recognize you from the sanctuary. I'm usually trapped next to a snoring homeless chap, such are the visitors to Corpus Christi (naturally, not all of them!!!).

    ReplyDelete