Thursday 13 August 2009

Clouds of doom...


I procrastinate...a lot. In fact, some of the work I am expected to complete is over a year out of date. I can't explain it, but finding the impetus to sit down and write something insufferably tedious is impossibly difficult for me under the present circumstances. I never had this trouble at Sixth Form, or at school, so why now, when matters hang by a thread and things are perilously important? My attention is so easily diverted from the important stuff to the fun stuff. I remember that roughly a year ago, my Latin teacher caught me translating one of the Propers from the day's Mass when I ought to have been revising Cicero. I have also a strong tendency to divert my attention away from meaningless stuff such as Inter-religious dialogue and Ecumenism towards Liturgy and Church History - you know, things that have a righteously exalted place in the discipline of Theology. But the Syllabus is different, and I expect that doing a degree in a Modernist institution comes with a price. I only pray God that I can find the inclination to cope with it, and get a First, or a high Second, if I am spared. (May I ask the prayers of my readers for this intention also?)

On a lighter note, after doing some work and checking my emails, I went into the Stacks today and was perusing Martinucci and an old 1884 Breviary. It was a massive tome! And I came out covered with the dust of it (marvellous!) I photocopied three pages from Martinucci, and after packing my things, went off to South Kensington. I decided to visit the Russian Orthodox Cathedral of All Saints and the Dormition (it's not far from the Oratory) for their ''Evening Service'' with Veneration of the Holy Cross. I forgot how long those things are. Two hours exactly! But it was pleasant enough; not as grand as the last time I was there (in November 2007 for Vespers and Akathist to the Mother of God, on the occasion of the visit of the ''Kursk'' Icon to the Theotokos) but I do admire Orthodox Liturgy. I didn't like the fact that half of it was in Church Slavonic and half in the English tongue - I would rather it were all in Church Slavonic, which seems to suit the chant better, but there we are, I don't experience enough of their Liturgy to care much. It seems strange to me that the Orthodox churches have no equivalent to a Master of Ceremonies. The ceremonies of a Divine Liturgy or Vespers all seem rather complex to me, and yet all seem to know what they're doing...On the train home, I read the pages of Martinucci. I wonder why I find Ecclesiastical Latin so much easier than Classical Latin? Maybe someone else can answer this for me!

I hope you're all enjoying my posts about The Silmarillion...

3 comments:

  1. I am off to Whitby on Saturday,for a week's hols.I shall add your immediate need for studious speed and concentration to my ever growing prayer intentions, for St Hilda's kind attention,at the Abbey ruins.Once you have completed your studies,you will be free to follow where your heart illuminates intellectually.I suppose this means you will become an academic hermit and just write the odd paper every now and again,according to inspiration!The next Merton,perhaps? Oh well,we can dream as we procrastinate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for your comment Shadowlands, and for your prayer intentions. Yes indeed we can dream as we procrastinate, I know that all too well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thank you for the posts about the Silmarillion, and for posting the illustrations! One of these days, I need to re-read the Silmarillion

    ReplyDelete