Monday 31 August 2009

My very own ''blonde'' moment...

People have often said I have no ''common sense,'' and I guess they're right. I went to University (as normal) today, and went into the Library. I sat down at a computer and set off to work on my essay (which is, incidentally, due tomorrow - and is still unfinished! Although I have an excuse for that...) I should have guessed that something wasn't right because I had to turn the computer on, there was no one in the Library at all (not even a Librarian) and there were no lights on, but I carried on. I got some books from the shelf, and was perusing my notes. This went on for about fifteen minutes, when suddenly I heard someone coming up from the Stacks. A door opened, and in walked the Librarian. I paid no attention to him of course, but I heard a voice. So I turned round to hear. ''We're closed,'' he said. ''Sorry?'' I said, confused. ''We're closed,'' he said again, ''it's the August Bank Holiday.'' It finally registered. My face must have been a study in wonder! So I went to put my books back etc, and walked out with the Librarian feeling very stupid. Apparently there was a sign on the door (which I obviously didn't see) indicating that the Library was closed. What I want to know is this: why didn't anyone tell me it was a Bank Holiday! (This day is just one reason I hate them).

Unfortunately, the Library being shut (and the Computer Suite also), I had nothing to do, and no means of doing it, so I went into a comfortable lecture room overlooking the Garden and sat down. Fortunately I had non-work related reading material (J.R.R Tolkien's The Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays, and my Latin Grammar) so I sat down to read that instead. I actually found it quite boring too, and I felt rather sullen and stupid after the Library incident (it always happens to me, at least that's how it feels whenever it does!)

I hope Mac doesn't think I'm stealing her post ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment