Tuesday 18 August 2009

Annoyed...

I overslept this morning, owing to many early mornings and late nights recently, and I am quite annoyed. I had planned on spending the day revising for my exams and structuring an essay on the New Testament, but that idea was dashed. It is better to do this in the Library at University, but it takes almost two hours to get there from my house, and by the time I woke up (feeling exhausted and in need of more sleep), the time I spent travelling would leave me with only a few hours in the Library. I decided, stupidly, to do it at home instead. My mother has spent literally all day (since she woke up this morning until a few minutes ago) on the computer, playing frivolous games and looking at holidays whilst I, trying to read photocopied books in my bedroom, was constantly interrupted by the noise not only of the computer (a very loud blowing noise) but also of the labour of workmen building an extension on a neighbour's house. In the end, I gave up, went down stairs, and watched a documentary.

My father came in from Jury Service, and reminded me (in a rather sardonic manner) that the grass in the back garden was just as long as it was on Sunday. I looked at him sullenly and went upstairs, being in no mood to be disturbed by anyone. The noise of the neighbours continues, and I am still vexed by it all. As regards access to the computer, I have argued with my mother over this many times. To all my objections that I need the computer for academic purposes, she just says: ''it's my computer.'' I wonder which is more important? My future, or playing a game of cards...I would have gone to the local Library, but that place offers no such sanctuary of quiet and a studious environment conducive to study. The last time I was there, the librarian refused to act on my complaints that everyone else was making an ungodly clamour (heard from all corners of the Library) and that a girl on an adjacent computer was tapping at the keyboard maddeningly too loud.

You must all think I am too easily irritated by people, but I guess when one's place in an academic institution rests on the ability to pass two exams, in two weeks, well I guess it is understandable that I am quite irritable. So things like cutting the grass, doing the washing up, all seem rather trivial at the moment...

1 comment:

  1. Yes but never take a mother off her computer or leave grass long!!

    You can get your own back on your own kids!

    ReplyDelete