Wednesday 10 June 2009

Why I hate my job...

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but whenever I mention my job, I always mention it in a snide, ''I am above this'' sort of way. Well, there is little to wonder about that. It is quite simply degrading and demeaning beyond my worst nightmare. It gets a bit much when you start to dread going to work on Wednesday on a Monday evening...I was feeling rather more sour about it when I was there on Saturday. I had overslept, and therefore missed the special Ember Day at my parish, and when I got there eventually, I was told off by two people for not abiding by their rather pointless and pedantic rules, deliberately. I am not the only one who hates it there though, one man I used to work with in my previous job was transferred there too, and while he ended up with the more respectable job, he says there is little difference. Some people like it there though - but they tend to be the rather rude people in Personnel and Management, the pedantic ones who enforce the silly rules. Kind of like the Sheriffs in the Shire when the Hobbits came back, telling them all off because they had broken some rule. Would that like Pippin, I could rip them all down. Sometimes I wish the place would blow up or something.

Of course, it doesn't do to complain about one's job in this ''economic climate'' - my mother told me so. ''You ought to think yourself lucky that you have a job'' - well, that is all very well and good, but thats a rather veiled way of saying ''you have no right to complain about it.'' My difficulty lies in the fact that I am an academic under-achiever. When (or if) I get my degree(s), I may be so numbed by my rather monotonous job that I may be of little use to anyone. God help me!

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Found this blog a couple of days ago via Fr. Finigan's blog 'The Hermeutic Of Continuity'. I too love Tolkein's 'Legendarium' and am a Catholic too. I've read most of the posts and have enjoyed them very much. Your blog is on my 'Favourites' list now.

    I know how you feel about work. I feel like that sometimes. I guess most do, or at least those who do a job which is not their first choice.

    I look forward to reading future posts.

    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Paul,

    Many thanks for your nice comment. However, I doubt I shall be working at this company for much longer - I took today off sick for stress-related reasons, and only a few weeks ago was I reminded by my manager of my ''attendance'' record.

    It is, however, nice to know that my blog is useful to readers. Sometimes I wonder whether what I say is useful to anyone except myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like are you operating in an extremely frustrating work environment! Unfortunately, you're not a lone -according to public opinion poll conducted by the American Psychological Association, one in four respondents have had to take a mental health day as a result of the stress their work has placed on them.

    We have set up a Web site to help address situations like this and to encourage the development of a psychologically healthy workplace. Feel free to register your boss for "Good Company" e-newsletter sounds like he could use the info! www.phwa.org/

    ReplyDelete