Saturday 20 June 2009

Reflections at the End of another day...

I have just got in from work - I actually made it the whole day without a telling off for not being pedantic enough for the company! During my lunch break, I read some short Latin stories to amuse me. I tend to do ''easy'' stuff on the bus or on breaks at work, as this does not require such an effort of mind. My parish priest kindly lent me an old book of Virgil's Eclogues today, designed for the use of students without a great mastery of the language (such is me) - the difference a century makes though is that 100 years ago this book would have been used by such boys as J.R.R Tolkien, C.S Lewis or Ronald Knox at school, who would undoubtedly have found it easy - I expect that the general declension in the standard of education in previous decades would indicate that this sort of stuff is employed by Universities now...I shall certainly enjoy reading them; he advised me to do only about five lines a day, which seems reasonable.

My father is going into hospital on Monday to have a benign tumour removed from his neck, and so prayers would be greatly appreciated. His name is Kevin.

1 comment: