Tuesday 23 June 2009

In need of a new old book...

I am in desperate need of a copy of J.B O'Connell's The Celebration of Mass: A Study of the Rubrics of the Roman Missal. I enjoy reading old books of ceremonies. I own a 1943 and a 2003 edition of Adrian Fortescue's The Ceremonies of the Roman Rite Described, and I read them regularly. Well no, actually I read the 1943 edition regularly (I have long ceased to read the modern edition, except to compare various ceremonies for the Liturgical Year), I am delighted by the diagrams, especially for Pontifical functions. But I need an O'Connell as it is indispensable. There are plenty of post-1956 available online, but these aren't what I want. I expect that I will eventually buy a modern edition for comparison too, as this is always handy - I attend, and serve, Masses according to the rubrics of '62, and in the Tridentine Rite.

The other day I was a Torch-bearer at a ''1962'' High Mass, only one Collect, Secret and Postcommunion (this was orthopraxis anyway, since the rank of the Feast was a Double of the First Class), the Celebrant did not read the lessons proper to the other Ministers, no Confiteor before the Communion of the Faithful...but turning towards the Altar expecting for the Ecce Agnus Dei, and the Celebrant shouted out ''Misereatur vestri...'' and the Indulgentiam (first time I had heard it in the Second Person Plural in this particular church too!!!) Of course, since the Deacon was not kneeling on the predella facing the Gospel side (since there was no Confiteor), the Celebrant had his back to the Sanctissimum because he was still in the middle. Even if this was liturgically peculiar, it did make me chuckle (and I expect others in the Sanctuary too).

Anyway, back to the matter at hand - the O'Connell. I need (ideally) a First Edition (1940) complete set. I have only found individual first and second volumes from 1940 and 1942 respectively, and that is no good because I can't find a third volume from those years anywhere. I have spoken to various Masters of Ceremonies and rubricists, and they all told me that they found their copies 15-20 years ago when they were cheap and readily available - one in fact told me he found his at a boot sale! Another that his was an ex-library copy. One can't even remember where he got his. Hmmmm, I wonder if this is a good sign - that interest in the Old Rite is increasing since the Motu Proprio? I still need one though - anyone have any comments or suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Try alibris.co.uk. They have a 1940 3 vol set - expensive though, over £50

    ReplyDelete