Sunday 6 December 2009

Venturi sunt?


I have wanted to post this painting for a while now, but being stuck in the First Age of the Sun in my silly synopsis of The Silmarillion, we have some thousands of years to go yet. I have actually covered a significant portion of the history of Arda in my ''synopsis'' already. The events surrounding the lives of Beren and Lúthien mainly occur in the 465th year since the first rising of the Sun, many thousands of years since the Creation of Arda (how many, I know not - having, perforce, to rely on semi-''canonical'' stuff in The History of Middle-earth); the War of Wrath takes place in the 583rd year since the first rising of the Sun and so ends the First Age. The Second Age is a period of marked advancement in the lives of the Men of the Three Houses, those who went into the West to Númenor, the Elendili, the Lords of Men, the sires of Aragorn. However, Men were ill-content with the wisdom of the Eldar and their longevity, and wanted more - the above painting, by Ted Nasmith, depicts the great Eagles of Manwë, rising out of the West in great thunderous and threatening clouds to warn the Men of their imminent doom. I'd like to have seen these clouds myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment