Tuesday 8 September 2009

Sister, you make a beautiful Nun...


Readers may have noticed when scrolling down the ''side-bar'' thingy that there is a photograph of Audrey Hepburn, along with a quotation (admittedly not the most astute or profound among the many that I could have chosen, but it more or less encapsulates - I'll have to stop using that word, it'll be worn out before long! - how I feel sometimes, especially about people). The photo comes, of course, from her best-known film Breakfast at Tiffany's. I can't remember exactly where the quotation comes from (I think I just googled Audrey Hepburn quotes or something), but it may resonate with other people as well as myself.

Anyway, Audrey Hepburn was a beautiful woman. I first saw her in The Nun's Story (incidentally, now in its 50th year), when I was very little, and if I stretch back my memory as far as I can go, I think I can vaguely remember hearing the news of her death in 1993. It took me a while to memorise her name - which is quite lovely too - for years, all I knew her as was ''the pretty Nun from that old film.'' She did indeed make a ''beautiful Nun,'' which was how one of the elderly patients at the Convent hospice described her as. She was convincing as a Nun, probably because in her ''offscreen'' life she was full of charity. This often makes me grieve that she did not herself become a Catholic in her life. To my knowledge, she was some sort of non-Conformist Protestant. She went to her long home tragically in schism with Rome. I wonder if a ''sincere'' Protestant, sincerely professing error, counts as ''invincibly ignorant'' of the Truth? Perhaps these are matters beyond me, but I only wish that she had lived longer, in the vain hope that maybe she might come to the Truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment