Saturday 5 September 2009

A new Missal...

I ordered a new Missal from Abebooks the other week, and it arrived some time ago (about two/three weeks ago, I forget); but I had neglected to show anyone at church. I did so today. I took it with me in by bag along with my cassock (or soutane, to be posh) and a few other oddments. I quite forgot about it until David reminded me after Benediction. And so I brought it forth.

I asked Jonathan: ''Do you want to see my new '62 Missal?'' Getting the expected reply, I was on a roll; that is until somebody (I am naming no names!) ruined the joke. Grrrr.

And so I tried it on someone else. I showed Fr Finigan (but I think he had guessed already, he was well pleased with it too). Then Mac came along; and I said: ''Do you want to see my new '62 Missal?'' She said: '''62? That's a bit modern for you!'' (Indeed, I once spoke to a friend of mine from the University about Sequences once, and I commented that the Dies Irae was my favourite. He choked (we were having lunch) and said: ''13th century!? That's a bit modern for you!''). Anyway, she looked at the Missal and something registered. I then told her that it was from 1862, not 1962, and she burst out laughing! See, I do have a sense of humour afterall!

It is a Priest's travelling Missal; it's quite small and has a nice old smell. It is so small, that it could well serve for a real Altar Missal for a Hobbit (if he were ordained priest that is).

It was bloggable, so I blogged about it!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Singulare Ingenium. I feel so bad. I knew, as soon as I spoke, that I'd ruined your joke. And, NOW, to see it in print !!! You're never going to forget this, are you ? Mea culpa. . .However, an excellent Missal. And thank you for bringing it along. I like the idea of a Hobbit's Missal, though !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I shall never forget it Zephyrinus, though I may forgive you in time...

    As regards a Hobbit Missal, I am in fact one, so it is especially pertinent! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I fell for it, hook, line and sinker... and I've been chortling about it all day!

    (Glad that I gave you the opportunity to use your punchline!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patrick, its Ryan, My first day was great, the food was the best. I'm glad I didn;t read this before I started school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, hi Ryan. You've just cheered me up (I have a long long day at University tomorrow, and two essays still to complete) and I'm not feeling so great about it. Some Latin for you: Ora pro me, frater dilecte, quia equidem hoc tempore in magna aerumna sum; semper tu es in orationibus meis. (Pray for me, dear brother, for I am at this time in great trouble; you are always in my prayers). Good luck next week, o/

    ReplyDelete