Sunday 13 September 2009

Miscellaneous updates...

Sorry for the lack of posts, but I have been very tired (I still am) lately, and I have only just got in from church. I walked home with Chris, and when we got to my house, there was a car in the driveway, and I assumed that it was my brother's girlfriend's. It actually turned out to belong to someone who went to my old school, a boy (well he is a man now) called Liam. I never much liked him, and he did in fact make fun of me on several occasions (when I started to need glasses for instance) but I never disliked him cordially, and it was not unpleasing for me to ''catch up'' in the kitchen. He asked whether I saw anyone from school and I said no - I would have added ''Deo Gratias,'' but I thought that he might construe that as undue bitterness or something, so it was better left unsaid. Having made my tea, I went upstairs and here I am now.

My ''disciplinary'' went as well as could be expected, and I was given a ''verbal warning.'' I came out with all the clap-trap they wanted to hear, and I think it didn't sound too spurious, and afterwards I found out that I have three weeks holiday owed me, so I am actually quite pleased with my job. One thing I must remember when performing my duties at work is that Christ was crucified for my sins, and that if I weren't so full of Pride, I might be able to cope with it better. Christ reigned from the Cross, and the power of God was most clearly and poignantly shown in the impotence of the Man Christ. Saying all this rather reminds me of lectures in historical theology, learning about all the Christological disputes in the Early Church, the Hypostatic Union, homousion, Christ suffered impassably in the flesh in that He made the suffering His own and all that! I'd like to have attended early Ecumenical Councils, where doctrinal disputes were not just academic quibbles debated over a cup of tea but were fierce disputes (even to the point of physical fights). Reading the Acts of various Councils is great fun.

I forgot to blog about this but on Friday morning we had Jehovah's Witnesses at the door (unfortunately I was overcome with weariness and was still in bed). My mother answered the door and was asked about various ''Bible study'' (what a monstrous notion!) classes, and was given a Bible. She asked whether they were JWs, and they answered yes, and she said: ''well, this is not a Bible then!'' and shut the door on them (giving them the Bible back of course). Would that I were there! I am not exactly sure how I would deal with them now though. The last time I personally dealt with them was when I was a boy, and I politely shut the door on them. This is probably the best way, just charitably let them know that we are not interested in renouncing the True Faith in order to follow a made-up and very bizarre sect. I wonder if they're still drawing odd dates out of the bag for the Second Coming?

University tomorrow, and I shall be at Maiden Lane to celebrate two years of Summorum Pontificum. I wasn't there last week so I am not sure exactly what is in store. Hopefully a nice High Mass...

2 comments:

  1. There should be something good on for the Feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am serving in Hainault (end of the Central line) for Fr. Jean-Claude Selvini. He will be celebrating the Mass at Corpus Christi next Monday. I shall be there! It's been a while.

    ReplyDelete