Friday 26 February 2010

Tweed...

A friend has alerted me to this post on another blog. It's about Tolkien's dress sense, which he does mention in one of his letters (not that I can be bothered to look it up, it's from about 1960), saying that he dared to wear in those dull days fine waistcoats and tweed trousers (the money he earned from the publication of his books, which he received in cheques every so often, made his retirement better than his pension alone would have allowed - although he was never extravagent and was generous).

Meantime - Patricius has purchased the iPhone 3G S, which I may regret after several months when the monthly expense starts to take its toll, but I am enjoying it at the moment (I brought it this afternoon straight after work - it's payday you see - an early birthday present). I hearby declare all other phones to be obsolete! I felt like the centre of attention in the parish club after Stations of the Cross this evening! I haven't done a lot to it, since setting the thing up took a while, as well as getting used to various bits and pieces. A friend of mine suggested that I should have spent the money on a Prada handbag to go with my Prada spectacles...

It's all making me feel better; although all this may only be palliative...

5 comments:

  1. Ah tweed! A wonderous material and a testimony to the fact Tolkien was a man of good sartorial taste as well as masterly author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my iPhone and don't regret the decision to sign up one bit! At least when you've not a 'bean' left towards the end of the month, you can spend happy hours exploring all the Apps on your phone!

    I'm sure you've compared notes with others at Blackfen. I recommend iPieta, iBreviary, iMissal and iRosary among others. Some great other non-religious Apps too - London Bus is a good travel planner, for travel in London by bus, tube, train, coach etc. National Rail Enquiries is also very good.
    Have you tried searching for Tolkien in the Apps store?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it Macmillan who said that whenever the British feel strongly about anything they wear tweed jackets and flannel trousers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. F.G.S.A - people who usually wear tweed are more likely (in my experience) to have convictions and follow them through.

    ReplyDelete