Thursday 25 February 2010

Such counsels...

When I published my last post, it put me in mind of this passage from The Lord of the Rings:

'''Pride and despair!' he cried. 'Didst thou think that the eyes of the White Tower were blind? Nay, I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool. For thy hope is but ignorance. Go then and labour in healing! Go forth and fight! Vanity. For a little space you may triumph on the field, for a day. But against the Power that now arises there is no victory. To this City only the first finger of its hand has been stretched. All the East is moving. And even now the wind of thy hope cheats thee and wafts up Anduin a fleet with black sails. The West has failed. It is time for all to depart who would not be slaves.'
'Such counsels will make the Enemy's victory certain indeed,' said Gandalf.'' (The Lord of the Rings, Book V, Chapter VII).

I expect that a Church Militant with all her soldiers locked up inside doesn't go much in favour with the Evangelical doctrines of bearing witness, etc. If only we had a Gandalf though...at least a local one. That pious and apostolic man in Rome cannot see everything, and his saying anything would only be construed in Parliament as yet more outrageous meddling in British politics, even if the very innocence of children is at stake.

Re: my other posts. I may return to them at some point, but I am hardly living in an environment conducive to writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment