Wednesday 10 February 2010

St Scholastica...


Happy Feast all! Today is the feast of St Scholastica, the sister of St Benedict. Early monastic history is fascinating (although in the days of Sts Benedict and Scholastica, this can hardly be called ''early''). Quite off topic, but anyone who is interested in the rites of Holy Week in 4th century Jerusalem, and in the history of nuns, might like to read the Itinerarium Egeriae (Travels of Egeria), a diary, written to her sorores, about the liturgical practices of Jerusalem. We read parts of it in Latin and I found the whole thing fascinating. Of course, her Latin can be rather eccentric at times, but don't let's hold that against her.

I say all that because I know nothing at all about St Scholastica, other than her being related to St Benedict...

1 comment:

  1. I have already read it all, and its fantastic, I would definately encourage you to keep on with your studies and with reading such wonderfull books. I would rather be a poor monk who's read Egreria, than a rich snob city gent, who doesn't even know that she existed! Fr. R.

    ReplyDelete