Sunday 1 November 2009

Pro puellis?


Whilst ''rummaging'' the other day, I came across an old newspaper article in The Irish Post from 21st December 1996 with my photo in it. I was present at a Feis (the Irish word for ''competition,'' pronounced ''fesh'') at Whitechapel in East London. I remember that day fondly; it was very exciting having my photo taken for a newspaper! I recall all my days of Irish dancing with a mixture of joy and regret. I certainly enjoyed doing it, and there were many benefits to it. I was always fit, my legs and arms were strong, I had, and still have, excellent posture, I was seldom if ever ill, it was good exercise, I had friends which, in spite of my ''ailment,'' were many, I was confident because I was talented at it, I had (and probably still do) a perfect sense of rhythm (which, oddly, I find comes in handy whilst censing the Celebrant at Mass - 1...2, 1...2, 1...2; not 1.2, 1......2,.....1...2,) it required physical discipline and you got to march in the St Patrick's day parades! It was altogether worthwhile, and I am glad my mother took me along. I suppose it was part of her ''you're NOT English'' routine, but there we are. I went to my first lesson with my younger brother and I loved it; he didn't, he hated it and never went back. I remember my days of dancing with regret because I sometimes regret that I never continued it. I wonder what life would be like now if I had done so? That, I suppose, no one will ever know.

Now comes the question: is Irish dancing for girls?! I ask because this was the general consensus when I was at school among the boys (and is so still I found out today!). The girls I went to school with thought it was cute. I remember going home to my mother one day complaining that I was made fun of by the other boys for it, calling me names like ''sissy,'' or ''pansy.'' She told me not to worry, and that those particular boys (the ones at school) didn't amount to much themselves, had no talent and were jealous. She then told me that if they saw me dance, they would make fun of me no more. She was right too. This was arranged for one St Patrick's day (the patronal feast of the school) and I danced in front of the whole school.

So the question: is Irish dancing for girls? No, and boys who do it, and love to do it, in spite of teasing, deserve a pat on the back in my opinion; it takes a lot of confidence.
Update: I just spoke to my mother and she said that in Irish Dancing, as also in Ballet, the male dancers were generally a lot more skilled than their commonplace female counterparts!

5 comments:

  1. Why didn't you continue with it, I wonder?

    I think the popular film (and later stage show) Billy Elliot must surely have put paid to the idea that dancing is just for girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Ellen E, I was asked to leave the school by my mercenary teacher because my parents couldn't afford private lessons. I never went back.

    As for Billy Elliot, I hated that film and I thought he danced like a clown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I make a totally politically incorrect comment here?

    I'd rather see girls doing Irish dancing than serving on the altar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a shame.

    Whatever you thought of the film, Billy Elliot (and the dancing in it), I'm sure it did a lot of good in dispelling the notion that dancing is not a suitable activity for boys.

    Just my opinion, of course.

    ReplyDelete