Sunday 8 November 2009

Confirmations at Spanish Place...


Yesterday morning, I made my way to St James' church at Spanish Place (arguably the most beautiful church in London) with some very good friends for the Traditional Rite Confirmations. I served as Crozier-bearer, one of the four ''Capellani'' (so-called in the Caerimoniale Episcoporum) or Chaplains who wait on the Bishop. The occasion was splendid (much better than my own impoverished New Rite confirmation), with a wonderful choir and the ceremony was well-rehearsed. The Bishop decided not to use the Crozier when he addressed the candidates (so I had, perforce, to retire at this point) and he spoke most eruditely and relevantly to them about the importance of adoration in the eyes of supplicants in Religious art. I spoke to Arthur Crumly, who served Benediction as Thurifer, beforehand for the first time too. Photos of the event can be seen here.

Afterwards, my friends and I met up again outside the church and we had a lovely picnic and day out at the British Museum. I hardly recognised the place, but then I hadn't been there since Primary School. On the train home, we bumped into some of the other Blackfen people, purely by coincidence, and we all had a nice chat on the way home.

When I think of my own Sacraments, I am sometimes quite angry about having been deprived of the Traditional Liturgy for most of my life. But I then thank God that the young Servers from Blackfen, who served so well yesterday, are growing to love God through the medium of the Traditional Liturgy which I missed out on. It rather sheds a new light on that wonderful Response to the Versicle ''Introibo ad Altare Dei'' (''I shall go unto the Altar of God'') - ''ad Deum Qui laetificat iuventutem meam'' (''unto God who giveth joy to my youth'').

The above image is a detail of one of the reredos' found on one of the side altars which line the side of the nave. I am yet to fully explore this church, but I am only ever there for great occasions - indeed the last time I was there was for High Mass on the Octave Day of Christmas. Anyway, must dash now and finish the hoovering. My father was having a nap earlier, so I decided not to wake him up, but it's getting dark very early and I shall be at work all week, so best get it done now.

No comments:

Post a Comment