Monday 11 May 2009

Deliciae Latinae


This new book arrived the other day called ''Fairy Tales in Latin.'' I haven't had time to read much of it yet, save on the small lunch break I get at work (and even that is not entirely rid of distractions), but by the looks of it, it will be fun to read and translate. Looking at the first story, called ''Tres Porcelli,'' I noticed something amusing:

''Clamavit lupus: 'Ergo huffabo, et puffabo et tuam domum inflabo!'''

English verbs given Latin future tenses! I am not really supposed to be doing this though...I have more important Latin to revise for, and an essay to write on the Venerable St Bede. A very good Latinist, a theologian and a very pious monk, but rather tedious I have found. I much preferred studying Cicero, who was fun and witty.

2 comments: