Tuesday 16 March 2010

Birthdays...

On this day 22 years ago I became a ''child of wrath'' you may be interested to know, so congratulations to me for reaching 22 and not having gone completely mad! In recent years, I have thought about why we celebrate our birthdays in relation to the Sanctorale and an interesting discrepancy comes up. Liturgically, only the Nativities of Our Lady and St John the Baptist, who were immaculately conceived and sanctified before birth by the Holy Ghost respectively (unless I am completely dull and have neglected to mention another important saint - Our Lord's Nativity naturally goes without question), are celebrated. All other saints, even some of the greatest, are celebrated on the days of their going to their parting this life (or where this is impeded, some other significant date).

Incidentally, 1988, the year of my birth, saw two ''interesting'' things religiously. This was the year of the dread consecrations by Archbishop Lefebvre, and also the year that Ian Paisley called the then Holy Father John Paul II the Antichrist to his face at the European Parliament! While going through periodicals in the Theology Library a while ago, I looked up March 1988 in The Tablet and found the date (19th March) nearest to my birthday. In that edition there was yet another attack on the then Cardinal Ratzinger, although I can't remember exactly what was said. I guess that this is nothing new...now that I think about it, that pious man in Rome must have been almost universally despised for most of his life...

Anyway enough ramblings from me...

UPDATE: I forgot to mention; my Profile Photograph was taken this time last year by a friend of mine. In the background are the University's shrine to Our Lady and behind that the Theology Library, where I was wont to spend happy hours doing lots of reading but little work...

6 comments:

  1. Many happy returns of the day. Gosh to be 22 - Enjoy your youth. Age catches up on people after 30 so be warned.

    Ah, Dr. Paisley. He is someone I have always wanted to meet. I have met James Molyneaux, now Baron Molyneaux, and David Trimble but Dr. Paisley...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your birthday! I hope you have some sort of celebration and enjoy the day.

    Gosh - 22!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very Happy Birthday to you, Patricius. May you enjoy your Birthday Cake and your presents (perhaps another App for your latest electronic gizmo ?).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was my understanding that in earlier times Christians did not celebrate their birthdays, but their baptism day. I always supposed that the Christian celebration of birthdays only came about as a result of the coincidence of the two days once immediate infant baptism became the norm.

    Incidentally, happy birthday (and many more...!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! Have a blessed day and year ahead.

    ReplyDelete