Tuesday 13 April 2010

Good counsel?

My mother and I had a lengthy discussion last night about life. This was instigated over my feelings of profound annoyance about someone I know, pecuniary matters mostly. I don't like feeling annoyed about them because I love them immensely, but I just do feel annoyed, and I feel sorry for them. Inevitably (as has most discussion with my mother turned of late) the matter turned to my unfortunate circumstances, apropos, University, long-term employment etc. I don't like my mother's way of dealing with this matter; ''well Patrick, if you'd actually done some work you wouldn't be in this position'' - you know, the rubbing-my-nose-in-it approach, and I don't like having to face ''reality'' at the best of times, but a good dose of reality can be refreshing and helpful sometimes.

One thing my mother blames my failure at University on is this blog. In fact, she has asked me to stop blogging altogether. In reality the problem goes deeper than that. When I enrolled in 2006 I was young, had lots of money and lacked personal discipline. Now I am less young than I was, have no money at all and still lack personal discipline, and the application to do anything worthwhile. In all honesty I am entirely frustrated with life. I am sick to death of subsisting on £350 a month (which, because I am constantly overdrawn, is never even that much - £200 if I am lucky); on top of this I have a standing order going to try and rebuild my savings (which 4 years ago were about £4,000 - now it is £30!), I have a monthly phone bill to pay (my mother blames my purchasing the iPhone upon the influence of ''social climbers'' - keeping up with the Joneses etc), and housekeeping; so it all adds up. In the end I am left with nothing and I don't like that. I haven't purchased a single book in months! So all I have going for me is my education, which is hanging on by a thread. One of my biggest regrets is not having gone to Oxford (I could have done, I had the grades), but I was too afraid to leave home. Never mind, we all make mistakes.

In the meantime, I am going to take my mother's advice and stop blogging. She has in fact commanded me to do so. I often wondered whether this small, vicious, blog was even a positive contribution to the ''apostolate'' of blogging. As I said in a previous post, thinking more deeply upon the life and dispositions of J.R.R Tolkien (my hero), I don't think he'd approve of blogs much. In the last few weeks, I have lost four followers - perhaps this is a sign that I have reached the end of the road? What do you all think?

11 comments:

  1. Oh, well... I have enjoyed your writing, but you ought to do what your mother says. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whilst I respect your reasons and decision it will still be a loss.

    Good blogs are a rarity on the Internet, with so many of the liturgically oriented ones being nothing more than sycophantic propaganda sites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments.

    Naturally I shall miss writing, but in reality it was just a major distraction and I never got paid for it anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to you - Go back to uni and ensure you get a degree, it is by far the wisest course of action and the most important thing you can do for your future. You have a rare and refined intellect that is extremely uncommon and you need to place yourself in an environment where you can flourish. University is that place! It is also important that you live at your university and not at home - more important than you can imagine. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "It is also important that you live at your university and not at home - more important than you can imagine"

    Where's your proof?

    ReplyDelete
  6. P - blogging does have its negative and addictive side - and your mother, who knows you a great deal better than anyone (including, quite possibly, yourself!) ought to be obeyed in any case. Obey freely, fully and generously and don't give it another thought or a backward glance. Above all don't stay angry and bitter - that's very worse thing for you there is.

    I have enjoyed your blog very much, and I shall miss you - particularly your open disregard of the various party lines that render so much of the debate around these issues so dreary and stultifying. Good luck to you, and God bless you.

    Let go of the anger!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog taught me, a new Roman Catholic convert and struggling Latin student, a great deal about the liturgy and Tradition. Thank you for the contributions, I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please, read this story http://www.ryanswell.ca/story/index.html
    and my comments: I, constantly ask myself: ¿What can I do? and a boy, six 8 years old do, go on doing and is going to do always. Definitely there is something in the genetics of every one than impulse (or desimpulse) to do or not to do (to be poor, medium or abundant)just as entrepreneur, matematician, engineer, and so on. But I´m sure I have a role that I don´t know and I´m doing what is supposed I have to ... Please do as you please. I went through your blog accidentally searching the term "genius" in its latin root (I didn´t find, but I found you ... I read and speak only spanish, and dared to express myself in english for triing to be positive for you. God loves you and all people in the world no matter what. Friend at distance: Odoardo Graterol (odoardoulises@cantv.net - Venezuela)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will miss your postings and pray for you.
    Frank Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  10. *virtual hugs and real prayers*

    Speaking as someone who went to Oxford, had a mental breakdown and got kicked out, I think you were better off not going there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. + Pary for guidance & God's Will, especially pray the Rosary (daily when possible) , a powerful prayer. -Mike M. http://www.murraycavanaugh.com/blog.php

    ReplyDelete